The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
Series: Darkest Powers
Publisher: Atom (January 1st 2011)
Pages: 392
Genre: YA/Fantasy
Source: Bought myself (amazon)
My Rating: 5 out of 5
Summary: Chloe Saunders has been moving around her whole life ever since her mother's death, but finally she is in the drama school she so loves with new friends and is starting to feel more stable. Unfortunately when Chloe starts seeing ghosts again things start to get crazy again and she is shipped off to Lyle house a group home for kids with problems. While struggling to come to terms with her newly diagnosed mental illness Chloe also has to deal with the other kids in the home, not all of them welcoming. Liz, Rae and Simon may be welcoming enough, but Tori seems to have taken a disliking to Chloe and Derek is far from warm. However she has a lot more in common with the other kids at the home than she realises, and she soon has to put her trust in some of them.
The Summoning is the first book in the Darkest Powers series and what a great start. I got into this book straight away and did not want to stop. Chloe was a well formed, relatable character who I couldn't help but like and feel for as things went very wrong for her. You quickly realise things in the group home are not quite as they seem on the surface and it keeps you guessing the whole way through, I had a pretty good idea of where I felt Kelley was taking this but she defiantly had me second guessing myself.
Full of twists and turns and a lot of moments which had me holding my breath I really enjoyed this book. Each character was given depth, backstory and something that just meant I couldn't dislike any of them by the end of the series although at first I did think Tori needed shutting up.
Kelley Armstrong never disappoints me with her books and this was another brilliant book which will leave you wanting more.

No comments:
Post a Comment