Friday, 6 September 2013

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill


All Our Yesterday by Cristin Terrill


Series: All Our Yesterdays
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing August 1st 2013
Pages: 362
Genre: YA
Source: Won as part of a goodreads giveaway.
My Rating: 4 out of 5

Summary: Em and Finn have been locked up for weeks, months maybe, they're not quite sure. All they know is the Doctor isn't going to let them out until they give him what he wants. The future is looking more bleek by the second and with nothing but Finn's voice to keep her sane Em is losing hope, until she finds a note in her cell and realises what she has to do. She has to kill the boy she once loved to stop the destruction and pain.

Em(Marina) and Finn have the unenviable task of having to kill their best friend to save their future. Past versions of them have already exhausted every other alternative they could come up with and now they find themselves left with one choice, kill the younger James to stop him becoming the monster they know in the future, or watch the world crumble around them as James good intentions threaten the lives of everyone.

The story is narrated by Em who has traveled back in time to save her future, and Marina who is her past self. Through the book Cristin switches between the two versions of the character to gradually reveal what is going on and look both into the past and their future through flashbacks. This actually works out very well and I really enjoyed being able to get the perspective of both of them at the same time. As she switches between the two she does head the new section with either Em or Marina to make sure things don't get to confusing. The only slip up with this was at the start of chapter 15 where it is headed as Em, but after some real confusion and not quite been able to rap my head around what was going on I realised it was infact Marina, this section must have somehow been mislabeled.

I found the whole idea of this story really interesting and was hooked, its definitely something different from anything iv read in the past and kept me guessing. Its brilliantly written and fast paced. The only thing I will say is that it took me a little while to get into it. I was not instantly reeled in as I might have hoped but once It really got going I couldn't stop reading.

The only reason that I couldn't give this book 5 stars is that I didn't feel as close to the characters as I would have liked. I just hope that in the next book they grow on me more as I didn't feel any overwhelming fear while I read this, the kind of fear you get because your worried the author could kill someone off at any moment. With All Our Yesterdays I didn't have that, I wasn't emotionally invested enough to be concerned and that was a bit of a shame. However I have high hopes for Cristin's next book and will most certainly be reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment