Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Series: Twilight
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company (6th September 2006)
Pages: 434
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Bought myself (WHSmiths)
My Rating: 2 out of 5
Isabelle Swan has just moved to Forks, a small town in washington. After starting a new school she meets the quiet and mysterious Edward Cullen who quickly turns her world upside down as he reveals to her a secret that could endanger both there lives. He's a vampire but no ordinary vampire.
Alright so lets get started. When I decided to start sharing my opinions online in this way I had quite a list in my head of books I wanted to talk about and I was on the fence as to weather I really wanted to review Twilight, what with my rather negative opinion on it and so much of that around. But here it is, my honest opinion.
I can respect what Stephenie was trying to do with this book, making it something different and set it apart from that vampire norm which I love so much. However I just couldn't get down with her writing style, i'm sure a lot of time and thought went into this but really, there were some points where I was having to re arrange the sentence structure in my head and asking myself why the progression of the whole thing was just so...wrong. It didn't have that nice flow to it that keeps you going and wanting more, and its that which lead to me eventually abandoning the book all together unable to push forward anymore, desperate for some extra ingredient to grab my interest or the tempo to suddenly speed up and make things easier.
Unfortunately that extra bit of something special never came and I was left feeling very underwhelmed by the first half or so of the book I managed to read. Do I think this book could have been good if it was written better? Probably for some people yes, but for me I think it was always going to be fighting a losing battle, to set in my ways wanting the strong dark vampire filled with lust and hunger tempting the innocent human girl. This for me didn't provide that and that lack of interest on my part mixed with the strangely structured sentences means I struggled to give this book two stars. All I will say is that for a lot of younger readers I can see how this might appeal and thats fine, I just feel a little sad that there introduction into the beautiful world of vampires and other night dwelling creatures is something a little to sparkly.

No comments:
Post a Comment